Another wedding DIY! Again, I made these mason jar vases months ago before I really planned on blogging. Could I do a step-by-step tutorial? Yeah, probably. But I don’t feel like it and I think these are fairly simple. Once I get the pictures back from my wedding photographer, I can hopefully post some nice shots of these how they were displayed. For now you’ll just get to see the finished product sans flowers. But let’s be real, some of these could also be used as candle holders… so just imagine that.
Like I said before, we got married at a winery. With such a naturally beautiful place and decor already there, I didn’t feel that we needed much for our own decor. I was originally going to hit up some Goodwills in search of jars of various sizes for the centerpieces. I kinda dig the mix-match look. I’m not sure at what point I decided eff that, but I ended up not going that route. A friend offered to give me some mason jars and various materials left over from her wedding. Score! I could work with that!
Here are all the supplies I used: mason jars (obviously), a roll or two of twine, lace, burlap, a roll of pearl-like beads on a strand, ribbon, miscellaneous beads, hot glue (yessssss), and scissors. A helpful fiance and/or bridesmaid also came in handy.
After laying out the supplies, I did what I do best – started hacking up stuff with scissors. Measurements are for weenies. Luckily I had plenty of material to work with, so I wasn’t worried about screwing anything up from lack of measuring. I laid out the burlap and cut out a big square that looked like it would fully cover a jar. It worked! Then I struggled to try to hold it in place with one hand while wrapping the bead-string around it to keep the burlap in place. Cheese and rice, the struggle was real. Burlap has zero grip, FYI. Once I managed to tie the bead-string, I hit the knot with the hot glue gun. Luckily I didn’t glue my finger to it. This definitely looked like garbage, so I glued on a purple bead to cover up the mess. I wrapped one end of the bead-string around the purple bead and snipped the other end. Honestly, this ended up being one of my favorites. The burlap that stuck up around the top was easy to work with and added to the rustic look. For what it’s worth, I didn’t know I was going for a “rustic” look until I did these vases.
Most of the vases were done in a similar fashion. I wrapped some in burlap, some in lace, and some in both. Then just tied it with various tie-able (that’s a word now) things: ribbon, twine, etc. If the ribbon/twine/whatever looked too plain or crappy, I’d add beads. Like any craft, it could have gone from normal to bedazzled in no time.
Enter stage left: Mod Podge. I forgot to mention this in the supply list up top. Meh. Then again, I’m not as in love with the ones where I used Mod Podge. I’ll start with the one I liked most. As part of the random supplies given to me, I had a bunch of heart shaped confetti made out of old book pages and sheet music. How cute! Obviously I went HAM on the smoothest jar I had with these guys and Mod Podge. Talk about tedious. I slathered Mod Podge on with a sponge brush, stuck the heart on, then added more Mod Podge. Ultimately I felt like something was lacking from this one, but I didn’t want to add anything and ruin it all. I’m sure you can relate.
This next one was just a train wreck, but I included it anyway because I was dedicated. It will probably remain in a closet for years to come simply because I put effort into it, even if I don’t like it and never use it for anything ever again. You ever Mod Podge lace onto something? I don’t recommend it. Maybe if it was on a flat surface, but still. No.
I’m kind of ashamed of this one, but hey, I’m here to show the good and bad of crafting. That being said, I’m not labeling this post as a fail, because I think despite this atrocity, the overall idea worked well.
Let’s wrap this up on a good note, though. This last jar was just wrapped in twine and the bead-string. You’re welcome for the pun. Get it? Wrap this up!
This little thing required a hefty amount of hot glue, but isn’t that what life is all about? I just glued one end down and kept wrapping, gluing every so often as I worked my way down. I also did one that was just wrapped in twine which turned out pretty well, too.
As a last touch, we got these lights from Joann’s. These are battery operated by twisting them, they are completely submersible, and they slowly fade from color to color. There was nothing else rainbowy about the wedding, but these things were so cute, we had to use them. Side note: I was just going to use them for our sweetheart table, but Mitch insisted we needed them at all tables. After his help with making the vases, how could I deny him? I’m glad we used them, because just one in each jar gave a nice glow. Be ware: children like them. Several of ours ended up in the hands of toddlers, but I couldn’t blame them. They’re freaking sweet.
Some helpful hints if you’re feeling inspired:
- Use common sense if you make these into a candle holder. Don’t burn shit down because you did something stupid.
- Tucking excess burlap into the top of the vase is a bad idea. Once water and flowers are added, the burlap will soak up the water and leak a lovely shade of brown water all over your white table cloth. I may or may not have personal experience with this.
- This last bullet is simply here for balance. I have no other tips to offer. Sorry. Please enjoy this final photo I took during the crafting process. Yes, I am shamelessly showing off my engagement ring because I love it.